If you forget everything else before placing your goods in storage, remember these five easy and essential self storage tips;
- Leave a gap – Always leave a walking isle down the middle of your storage cubicle or container. Although this can waste essential space, it makes it much easier to retrieve items without having to unpack the entire unit.
- Pack most used last – Always pack your essential items last. Think about what you will be retrieving the most often. If you are moving house, and your storage is temporary, pack what you will need first, last. For example, pack keys for the new house, tape, and moving trolleys closest to the entrance of your storage unit.
- Label everything – We hate to be a stick in the mud, but labelling your boxes is essential. It’s a tedious part of the process but will save you the frustration of endless and fruitless searches in the long run, trust us!
- Bits and bobs – Place necessary bits and bobs in plastic bags and tape them to your items or you will most certainly loose them. If you dismantle any furniture, place all screws, nuts, bolts, and small affiliated tools in a plastic bag and tape the bag to the furniture items. Place controllers for your TV’s, DVD players, etc. in plastic bags and tape them to the relevant items.
- Do not overflow – We know it’s tempting but don’t do it! Never pack beyond the brim of your box or crate. You should be able close a box flat, or place one crate on top of another flush without any wobble. This will ensure that boxes and crates do not fall over in transit or while in storage. It also prevents your storage goods from getting damaged.